Thursday, August 16, 2012

Weaning...

In Australia, the definition of weaning is moving on from breastfeeding to formula or cows milk.

Nothing makes me prouder to have been able to breastfeed. And even though I had some struggles (like most woman) thankfully I was able to over come them. I was then able to continue BF'ing James exclusively for the first six months and with the occasional formula feed after six months when I was out or away from him. It has now become time to me to finish up with breastfeeding. I'm ready. On a few levels. I'm ready to wear normal shirts and bras (without breast pads!). I'm ready for my nipples not to be bitten (TMI?). I'm ready for my breast not to be exposed every time James has a look around.

It's taken four weeks but we are finally coming to the end of the weaning process. James is still having four milk feeds a day, so every week I would move one milk feed to formula. This week is our last week, the morning feed was the last to give up.

James has handled it well. Barely noticing the change. He has been exposed to bottles before we started weaning so it wasn't a totally new concept but I still thought there would a resistance of sort.

It does make me a little sad that we are moving on but I think it's more of 'my baby doesn't need me anymore' than anything else. But I know he can't wipe his bum, so I'm not out of a job yet!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear how well James is doing with the weaning!!

    ReplyDelete